Sunday, December 27, 2015

And Whatever You Do...

Hello! I am so excited to finally be writing my first blog post. I have been wanting to join the blogger community for a long time now and I am so happy I decided to start my blog!

The main focus of this blog is about living a Christian lifestyle. I'll be writing about Bible verses and my relationship with God as well as fashion and art. I am learning to keep Jesus at the center of my life and now at the center of my blog! I can't wait to start this journey and I hope y'all will join me for the ride.

I wanted my first post to be about the bible verse that I try to base my life off of. Colossians 3:17 says, “And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through Him.”

I found this verse when I was 12 years old. In the Methodist church, starting in 7th grade, you can make the choice to be confirmed and become an official member of the church. It’s a commitment to your faith, and you take classes for a few months to prepare for it. I didn’t actually learn this verse in class, though. We were all talking over group message about what verse to put on our T-shirt and I googled “bible verses”. Colossians 3:17 really stuck out to me and ever since then it has been my “life verse”.

Ever since I was a little kid, I’ve been in dance lessons, choir and theatre. I have always wanted and still plan to pursue a career in the performing arts. Over the years, I have struggled a lot with the concept of being a performer and a Christian. Of course that’s who I want to be, but it’s not easy. In the arts, you are praised for what you do and if you make it big, you are praised for being yourself. That being said, artists have to deal with constant rejection which feels terrible and takes a lot of strength to withstand. Vanity, impatience and the desire to focus on the worldly desire for fame are things that all performers struggle with. This is why many people, celebrities or not, become so unhappy- they get caught up in the woes of the world and the things that don’t truly matter. We all do it sometimes- but the amazing thing is that God takes those dumb distractions away from us. God says be selfless, be patient, be faithful- and if we listen to Him, our lives will be full of Him and His love so that we can recognize it. That’s what Colossians 3:17 means to me, that we shouldn’t live this life for ourselves or for others but for God. It means that we should have God in our hearts and our minds and make decisions based on what we know about Him. It means that we should enjoy this life that He has given us and live it to the fullest in His honor. It means that the foundation of our lives should be Jesus Christ. This is a huge concept and it doesn’t happen all at once- since 7th grade, I have been slowly figuring out how to live my life for God. This means, as I am also continuing in my (high school) musical theatre career that I am learning to want God’s glory instead of my own. Gradually, I am realizing that praises to Him are so much greater than a standing ovation. Being seen center stage doesn’t even compare to feeling God’s presence in my life.

Another part of this verse that I didn’t quite notice before is the end- Giving thanks to God the father through Him. Thankfulness is another huge part of Christianity. I have been blessed over and over by God and giving thanks to Him for my life, the people in it, the opportunities I have and His presence in my life is one of the most valuable things I can do. Taking a moment to reflect every day and say thank you to God really opens my eyes to how blessed I am and leaves me feeling content and at peace.

I hope this post makes you think about all God can do for you if you open your heart and your life to Him, and of course, I hope you'll stick around!

xo, 
Julia


No comments

Post a Comment

© Julia Marie
Maira Gall